The Wiccan Rede

The Wiccan Rede

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Meditation

Of of the most basic things in witchcraft, that I now realize I should have put maybe as the second post, is meditation. The point of meditation is to clear your mind of all thoughts. Of course there is the saying "let me meditate on that" which means that they meed to sit and think for a while about it. The meditation mostly used in magick involves sitting down in the lotus position and attempting to clear your mind of all thoughts and not let any reenter your mind. It is relatively difficult to do for many people, like me at first because you find that you start to think about things and you don't really realize it. To be able to just sit and "be" requires practice. Many people light candles, incense(but I prefer to use herbs because of the health benefits), turn on some meditation music, etc. It is all unnecessary, but for some people it helps them. If you feel like doing any of these things then go ahead, try different methods out and see what works best for you. For me, I just sit down, turn off the lights, light a few candles and begin. Now, my technique is to focus on nothing but listening to my breathing until all other thoughts are out of my head, then once I am confident that they won't return I slowly stop listening to my breathing and just "be". Since I have only used the method I described before, which works fine for me, I haven't really experienced many other methods so you might want to check out some other methods. I will post some links to websites that explain the process probably better than I can.
http://home.att.net/~meditation/MeditationHandbook.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?3-Powerful-Meditation-Techniques-For-Beginners-For-You-to-Try-Right-Away&id=1787961
in the link above it describes a method very similar to the one I use.

http://www.abc-of-meditation.com/meditation-techniques/beginner2.asp

whatever method you chose, I wish you luck. From personal experience, it is better to meditate before you do any magickal exercises because it settles any stressful problems or worried thoughts you might have which allows you to focus better on the exercise at hand. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment